Call for nominations for mountain legacy medal
The Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal (SEHMLM) is awarded for remarkable service in the conservation of culture and nature in mountainous regions. It is intended both to honor the humanitarian work of Sir Edmund Hillary and also to encourage the emulation of that work.
The Medal presentation event is an essential part of the mission of the SEHMLM project, and the successful candidate for the 2018 Medal must participate in a ceremony in Kathmandu, Nepal, on 11 December (International Mountain Day) 2017. He or she will be invited to present a slide or video talk on work already accomplished and plans for the future, and in addition may be the featured moderator of a pertinent workshop on 12 December.
Nominations of candidates for the 2018 Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal will be accepted until August 1, 2016.
The Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal is awarded for remarkable service in the conservation of culture and nature in mountainous regions.
- Nominees working in impoverished or ecologically fragile mountainous regions anywhere in the world are eligible.
- As the award is for both cultural and environmental conservation, nominees should be working in inhabited mountainous regions.
- One purpose of this award is to draw attention to efforts that are in need of broader support; therefore nominees should be currently engaged in such a project.
- Self-nominations as well as nominations of third parties will be accepted.
- Members of the Selection Committee may conduct their own searches for candidates. They will accept suggestions, in the form of name and contact information, from colleagues and others, and they may follow up on these suggestions at their discretion.
- Recipients of the Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal recipients cannot be re-nominated for another SEHMLM; however, unsuccessful candidates may be re-nominated without prejudice.
- Exceptionally, two or more individuals may share a joint nomination if equal credit is due for the same project(s); however, in such a case only one medal will be awarded.
- Consideration for the Hillary Medal is contingent upon the nominee's commitment to participate at the pertinent medal-presentation event.
- The identities of nominators and of unsuccessful nominees shall remain confidential, except as necessary to obtain documentation pertinent to the selection process.
The 2017 Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal will be presented on 11 December 2016 in Kathmandu, Nepal.